Wednesday, September 21, 2011

List 4: Top 30 Things to do Outside in Cincinnati

So I sort of feel like these lists are turning into some sort of "I Love Cincinnati" Guidebook, but I think I'm okay with that for now being someone that is not terribly comfortable getting too personal on the interweb. (they will get more personal) My favorite things to do outside, as stated in List 1, are biking hiking and running, but this is a list of my favorite things beyond those activities over  of those over the years.  As I make these lists, I can't believe how much there actually is to do around here at any given time of year.  It is making me appriciate the place I have called home for so long.  In no particular order...

1.  Labor Day Fireworks (from Mt. Adams Pavilion)
http://mountadamspavilion.com/site/media/pavilions-view-webn-fireworks-2/
There are many ways to experience this unique Cincinnati phenomenon, but my absolute favorite is from the balconies at the Mt. Adams Pavilion.  You get to see all the splendor without fighting the crowds of the levy on either side of the river (I considered saying "sweaty hillbillies" in lieu of "crowds" right there but then reconsidered).  If you plan ahead you can reserve a table and you don't even have to fight the crowd to get to the bar.  
2.  Canoeing at Scenic River Excursions
There are three trips at Scenic River; 3, 6 & 9 mile.  I always do the nine mile and solo in a kayak, can complete it in less than two hours.  Thats in exercise mode.  If I am with others in a canoe either in relax or party mode, it can take much much longer.  Never the less, the staff is always super friendly and knowledgeable of river conditions.  They are pretty lenient about boozin, more just turning a blind eye I think.  Always a great time and very fun for furry friends as well.  
3.  Party in the Park at Sawyer Point
It had to make the list, but I should be honest here.  Not usually the greatest bands, or food, or deals.  All of that is average.  But the people watching is priceless and the river is right there and its downtown and happy hour-ish and its just fun(ny).  
4.  Apple Picking at Iron's Fruit Farm
Unfortunately due to weird weather patterns, there is no U-pick this season, but I had to include it because it is one of my most favorite fall activities and I know they will be back for 2012.  Its a little bit of a drive but worth it to spend a relaxing fall afternoon in the orchard.  They have several varieties and pretty good deals in the farm shop on other produce and handmade goods.  
5.  Paintball at Paintball Country
I have only done this once, but if I had the gathering power I would do it all the time.  I am not a fan of guns or fighting or most things of that nature, but I must say, it is a real release to run around in the woods and shoot at things when you know it isn't hurting anyone (really) and it is quite a rush to be the target hiding behind a log on the ground.  I would recommend going when there is a bit of a chill in the air so you can layer up to protect yourself from the little welts the "ammo" leaves but not get too hot.  Not recomended for wimps
6.  Pumpkin Patch at Niederman Family Farm
Yes I am a single, late twenties woman with no children and I legitamately enjoy this.  Just like the apple picking I suppose.  There is a petting zoo and a corn maze (which I actually find terrifying when done in the dark but sort of exhillerating) and at teh end you get to pick a pumpkin to take home and carve.  I have definitely snuck in spiked cider, but it was no more or less fun with or without.  Good, wholesome fun.
7.  Sunlite Pool at Coney Island
Sunbathing, margaritas (sometimes), waterslides and again, some of the best people watching this side of the Mississippi.  What more could you ask for?  Seroiusly though, it is a nice way to spend a hot sunny Cincinnati afternoon with friends.  If you print a ticket from your home computer, it's $10 (this does not get you access to rides at Coney) + $7 for parking or you can get a season pass for $80 that includes parking for the year and access to the whole park.
8.  Volleyball at Sandbar
Sandbar has leagues throughout the week during spring, summer and fall.  I could never commit to a league but they have pick-up games on Saturdays and Sundays.  Being a long time service industry worker making Sundays more like Saturdays, Sunday Fundays were a long standing tradition among my friends and I when I was younger and often started with sun and sand and volleyball.  
9.  Loveland Bike Trail
My favorite stretch of this trail that spans over 70 miles locally is that between Newtown and loveland.  It is 26 miles round trip but if you start in Newtown, there are plenty of places in Historic Downtown Loveland.  There is a lovelie little Vintage shop called Vintage Market and Thrift just blocks from the path as well as several little restaurants to refuel before your ride back. 
10. Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ballpark
Its called America's favorite pastime for a reason.  Enough said. 
11. Cincinnati Bengals Game & Tailgate
No matter how terrible or great we are, it is ALWAYS a fun way to spend a Sunday.  Even if you don't have tickets to the game, tailgating with those that do then making your way to Tina's or Mainstay or another local bar to watch is just as fun.  I should warn that the aftermath can be pretty ugly so an escape plan immediately following is a necessity. 
12. Cincinnati Zoo
I was away rom the zoo for a number of years until my precious niece Sofia came on the scene.  I went twice with her last year, once in winter for the Festival of Lights and once in the summer for good old fashioned animal viewign and it reminded me how much I loved that place as a kid.  Fun way to spend the day with or without kids or a companion.
13. Keeneland Horse Races
This one is a bit of a drive, but it is such a culture here in Cincinnati that I didn't even question calling it a local activity.  Even if you don't like betting or horseracing, the track is beautiful and it happens to fall at the midwests two most beautiful times of year, April and October.  
14. Kings Island
I happen to love roller coasters and its an amusement park (with a waterpark inside) full of hillbillies.  I think by number fourteen you can guess why I would like this place so need I say more?   
15. Indie Summer Series @ Fountain Square
If I were ranking these in any particular order, this would be very near if not AT the top.  It is so refreshing to see the square so populated with people and such great talent and its FREE. 
16. Findlay Market
Saturday and Sunday mornings it is very crowded but thats also when they have most of their events i.e. wine tastings, the beer garden, and even the occasional cooking demonstration.  Hands down the least expensive produce in or near downtown too.  Its more than just produce though.  Its art and crafts and flowers and meat and CULTURE.  And its local so we can all stimulate our own economy.
17.  Picnic at Eden Park
Home to Krohn Conservatory, the Cincinnati Art Museum and Mirror Lake and several trails and walking paths, Eden Park has tons to offer including several beutiful views of the fair city of Cincinnati.  Take a blanket and a loved one or a good book or a sketchbook and some tasties and spend an afternoon relaxing on the grass. 
18. Riverbend/PNC Pavilion
I have seen countless concerts here since I was 15 years old.  One year I was actually at Riverbend  nights in one week.  It never gets old, especially since the addition of the PNC Pavilion.  The old Riverbend was about the experience but not so much the sound, but since PNC opened, the acoustics in there are pretty great and there's honestly not a bad seat.
19. The Turkey Trot
What better to start the most glutonous day of the year than with an easy relaxing 10K.  You can eat as much as you want later in the day with little or no guilt.  I actually woke up late for this last year but ran the entire thing on my own.  Backwards.  In the rain.  I can't imagine a Turkey Day without it ever again.  
20. Neons Patio
Its just a great way to spend any night of the week with friends.  They have larger than life Jenga and Bocci (neither of which I have ever played there which is weird because I love bar games) but you can have plenty of fun just sitting around the table in good company shooting the $#!+.  Only downfall, unless you know a bartender, you may be waiting a while for refills.  Once the bartender makes it to you though, you're always greeted with a friendly smile.
21. City Flea
New this year, this summerlong event occurring ever first Saturday of the month is a great addition to the indie/vintage culture in cinicnnati.  Collectors and vendors alike set up shop in a parking lot on Vine Street and it just took off.  If you like all things vintage, I highly recommend Matt Joys booth.  If you're more into crafts, check out Tara Heilman and the girls from Fabricate.  If you get hungry while your digging through the treasures, you can grab a quesadilla in the rear corner of the lot from Turophelia or another one of the handful of local food vendors. 
22. Taste of Cincinnati
Honestly, as an adult and as a vegan, I don't love this for the food as I used to.  But in recent years, it has become a great place to see a local band outdoors in the middle of the afternoon.  They have several stages and at least the last two years the lineup has been great.  For you dairy-loving carnivores out there, the food is probably still amazing so don't be discouraged.  I will say that it would be nice if it weren't so expensive for the vendors so more local mom and pop operartion showcase their goodies.  It has turned a bit more corporate than I remember it growing up and that bugs me but still a fun way to spend part of your Memorial Day Weekend.
23. Second Sundays on Main
This is another recent addition to the OTR culture and its a great one.  It involves all the local stores in a section of OTR as well as some pop-up booths.  There are local food booths too and music.  I will not insult your intelligence by telling you when it takes place as the name does it for me.  
24. The Blind Lemon Patio
Great place for a date.  Probably the best in the city.  Never too crowded.  Great seasonal cocktail menu.  Mellow easy music, usually jazzy.  Perfect mood lighting.  Simple Cincinnati mainstay. 
25. The Dog Park at Otto Armleder
Its like doggie Disneyland.  On a sunny afternoon, no matter what time of year there are easily hundreds of dogs here, running, barking, playing, pooping.  Its wonderous.  They provide poo bags and most owners are pretty good about cleaning up after their little ones.  There is a little dog section too so you don't have to worry about some yorkie owner saying your furry bundle tried to beat up her (or his) pansy dog (no offense yorkie owners).  If you like me have a doggie that needs to be a little "tired" to socialize with other dogs, there is also a 1.9 mile track as well as river access for water lovers.  
26. The Modulators at Ault Park Dances in the Park
Its an outdoor concert in a beautiful park in a beautiful part of town with upbeat, happy music and dancing and drinking.  How could it be bad?  The Modulators have been around for quite sometime and they know how to entertain a crowd. 
27. Yardsale of America
The section I frequent is in Mainstrasse Village in Covington.  There are great Vintage finds and quite a variety of both buyers and sellers alike.  Other than that, it is esactly what it sounds like...a giant yardsale.  
28. Swinging at French Park
I'm a sucker for swinging.  Anywhere.  If you haven't done it in a while, go to a park and try.  It is free and liberating somehow and I can all but guarantee it will immediately take you back to childhood.  French Park happens to have my favorite do to their size and setting.  You can swing facing a creek and woods and its almost like they were constructed to house adult butts.  I would easily put swinging in the number four spot behind hiking, running and biking.  Maybe 5th to canoeing.  Maybe.
29. Northside Rock and Roll Carnival
If there is a community that knows how to band together and organize in Cincinnati, it is definitely Northside.  I went the for the first time this year but it has been around since 05/06ish.  It happens 4th of July weekend and its plopped right in Hoffner Park and its really fun.  Great lineups, a great beer tent, an adequate amount of bathrooms.  Summer fun at its best.
30. Starlite Drive-In
I have a certain amount of guilt if I go to a movie on a nice night.  In a climate like the midwest, you really have to take advantage of every nice day.  At least I do and at the drive in you can get the best of both.  Totally vegging but still outside.  They have double features too, so this outdoor lazing about can last up to four hours.  

I can't stress enough that this list and others have been hard to pare down.  There is plenty of culture and life and fun out there, you just have to get out and find it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment